Mr. George Marshall (click here to be taken back to the collections page)
George Marshall was a pleasant, softly spoken Scot who came to Worcester in 1931 as a GP. He originally took up General Practice in Worcester on the Tything. He then became Consultant Surgeon to the Infirmary with the introduction of the NHS in 1948. Mr. Marshall continued in General Practice until 1950.
Image © not known
He was an enthusiastic collector of old medical and surgical equipment and by his retirement he had accumulated a large and varied collection of several thousand objects (the bulk of our entire collection today). He generously presented his collection to the Postgraduate Education Centre at Ronkswood in Worcester in the 1970s and the collection was moved in 2002 when the new education centre was built at the Worcester Royal Hospital site on Newtown Road.
The collections' former home within display cases at the Postgraduate Education Centre, Ronkswood
Image © Charles Hastings Education Centre
The Charles Hastings Education Centre now houses and owns the collection, which is currently managed by one Curator and a team of highly dedicated volunteers.